It’s that time of the year when you finally bring your wanderlust to reality and convince your family to pack their bags. But while you’re all excited about this new road trip and exploring a new city, it often happens that you end up hassling over what you need to pack – especially if you have kids.
That’s why the genies at Geenees, decided to create a common wishlist of items that every family travelling with kids, needs to pack!
Just for fun
Kids can get fidgety on road trips and need something to keep themselves entertained. This could be their favourite book, a colouring notebook, some music, a game or simply a journal that could subtly nudge them to turn their thoughts into words.
Here are a few things you could check off depending on what your kid loves – they always seem to work for us!
- Story books
- Flash cards
- Stuffed toys
- Handheld electronics (not for those under 3 years – no, no, NO!)
- Crayons and a colouring book
Yummies in the tummy
In addition to keeping your kids entertained through the trip, it’s also a wise idea to keep few snacks at hand. You never know who ends up feeling hungry and cranky! After all, sometimes even you need a little energy. Right?
Here are some of our favourite and really easy to carry must haves for a road trip:
- Individual portions of snacks in small tiffins
- Individual water bottles
- Oatmeal cookies
- Peanut butter sandwiches (if it is not too long a trip)
- Crispy rice treats
- Mini surprise treats (muffins, cake loafs and anything everyone really loves!)
You can find so many more options on the Parents Magazine, here.
Don’t skip the essentials
While road tripping is all about having fun and being adventurous, you should always remain prepared for the worst. Keep in mind that kids are kids, and they still might end up bumping into things while playing and getting hurt. They still might need the comfort of their bed when wanting to sleep – no matter how much you explain that it can’t be done.
Here are a few things we always pack to make sure the essentials are always covered for good health and comfort:
- Antibacterial hand wipes
- Soap sheets
- Lip balms
- First aid kit (basic medicines for fever, body ache, allergies, cold and of course, bandaids!)
- Sunglasses (the glare can be too much for anyone, you know?)
- Small blankets
- A quick change of clothes
- Flip flops (tired feet need some air!)
- Paper towels
We have been on plenty road trips. Some went by pretty smoothly and the others took us a while – we sometimes lost our way, went hungry for a long stretch and ended up crashing on reaching the destination instead of exploring the place. That’s why here are a few more handy things that we say you need to have:
- All bookings made in advance
- Road map (you never know when you hit a rough patch with bad network)
- Important phone numbers – saved and favourited
- A spare tire – never, ever forget this one!
Road tripping with kids isn’t just about thinking of a destination, hopping into a car with the bare essentials and moving out to ‘explore’. It is being as much a ‘parent’ as you are in the house, even while driving hundreds of kilometres to a destination!
Yes, you need to plan more than you ever planned for your solo trips or those made with your friends. If you don’t want boredom tantrums or hunger cries coming your way while you drive through maddening traffic, PLAN.
So don’t just go by our list, take tips from the pros and understand what your family might need additionally.
But while you’re planning things, here a few good reads and resources you might want to refer to:
- 3 tips for organized travel with kids
- The ultimate guide to travelling with kids
- Kids’ road trip essentials checklist
- Wholesome snacks for a road trip with kids
- DIY kids travel activity kits
Got more tips and tricks for an enjoyable road trip with kids? Don’t forget to share them with us in the link below!
We’d love to add them to our list here and make it easier for families to plan out the road trip they that’s been due for months. 🙂